Sunday 8 December 2019

Deck the Halls ......


Well this time of year can be a financial minefield.  Stores are bursting with goodies and if you were to believe the adverts, you can’t have a great time without spending oodles of money.  I once was hooked in, ship, line and sinker when it came to Christmas.  I could easily spend a couple of thousand on gifts, decorations, food, drink, entertaining, new outfit, parties.  Crickey it was a lot. 

So can you have a cracking time and still be frugal?   Of course you can, because somewhere along the line some of us in this consumerist age have lost the true meaning of Christmas and with just a little bit we can have a cracking time. 

Today we decorated the house, we used to buy a real tree (hubby wanted to this year but I said no (I know how mean) I’d buy a real wreath for the door, I would always buy different decorations etc and a few hundred pounds later…..

This year however it has cost us zero, as we have decorated the house with all our old decorations, 2 artificial trees (which I bought in the sale years ago) and an artificial wreath I’ve used year after year. 
It really doesn’t have to cost much, I have made decorations in the past, and if you’ve got little ones it’s a great activity on the run up to Christmas.  I’ve embedded a link to making decorations from recycled materials again no / little cost.  http://diytotry.com/25-christmas-decorations-made-with-recycled-materials/

So reuse, recycle, make and mend.  Your home may not look like the inside of a glossy magazine but it will be fabulous and it will be you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Simple Days and Simple Pleasures

I am sure that you, like myself, have been very reflective during this period of enforced lockdown and isolation and the varying degrees in ...