Thursday 12 December 2019

Make It Yourself and Save Pounds

We have four graves which we visit at Christmas of parents and grandparents we have sadly lost.  My hubby likes to lay a Christmas Wreath as a mark of respect and in previous years I have bought these.  This year I looked in our local garden centre where they were retailing for a startling £26.99 each yikes.  Even the cheapest at Aldi which I didn't like as it was a bit too jazzy were retailing at £9.99 each.

So I decided to bite the bullet and make my own.  I bought 4 rattan wreath rings from Ebay at 99p each and used foliage, holly and berries from our garden.  I am lucky in that respect, we have a very mature garden with big evergreen hedges, trees, bushes and shrubs and 3 very large holly and berry bushes which look lovely at this time of year. 

I bought 2 oranges and sliced these and put them on a baking tray on a low heat in the oven for 2.5 hours to dry them out.  I added a bit of old ribbon (I always save ribbon and wrapping paper etc from any gifts we get over the years) and e voila my own hand made, home made wreaths.  For a bit of my time and at a cost of £1.14 each, £4.56 for all four.  Hubby is delighted and I have to say so I am I, I've made 4 for half the price of one of the cheapest ones I could find, now that's a saving. 


2 comments:

  1. That's lovely. I always make my own wreath for my front door using stuff from my garden.

    ReplyDelete

Simple Days and Simple Pleasures

I am sure that you, like myself, have been very reflective during this period of enforced lockdown and isolation and the varying degrees in ...