Friday 20 December 2019

Love your Library


Dad and I have just got back from our weekly trip to the library, it’s a recent thing we do.  Dad loves reading; my siblings and I a few years ago all clubbed together and bought him an Ipad.  

He’s got a very active mind, thank god and has always had a passion for politics and history.  Via his Ipad he reads all the major newspapers each day as well as Reuters the news agency.  He’s a great person to have at a dinner table because he is so well read, he literally will know something about whatever any guest talks about. 

I love my kindle, which is my must have when we go on holiday as in a week on holiday I can easily read a book a day.  However it can get expensive and I did get into the bad habit of buying about 3 books month, as via your kindle it is so easy, literally just a click but it totted up to easily £18 per month. 

In Lancashire our County Council was in the process of closing all local library's to save money, it ended up losing the Labour Administration the election as the uproar was unprecedented with the new Conservative Council promising they will protect them and they remain open.

It really did give me food for thought, as its one of those things that we just take for granted and one of those things that unless we use it, we really do risk losing it.  I decided that we would support our local library as best we can and at the same time save me oodles of cash.  So each week Dad and I go and browse through the shelves and pick up a new book.

It really does amaze me that (and I know we all pay taxes etc) that we get the opportunity to get books and enjoy what is a great hobby, for free.  So love your library, use it, cherish it and enjoy a free hobby.





2 comments:

  1. Most library's have a system whereby you can also download books and magazines.I now read about 10 magazines each month for free which would cost over £40. I also request books for 50p each. Love the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't agree more Lynn and yes we too have a system wherby you can download books for free so don't even need to venture outside - although for Dad its a good excuse to get him out and about x

      Delete

Simple Days and Simple Pleasures

I am sure that you, like myself, have been very reflective during this period of enforced lockdown and isolation and the varying degrees in ...