Wednesday 18 April 2012

Give Peas a Chance!

Yeah sorry about that ;) ….  Today has been a cold, wet and miserable day; my last day of leave (back to work tomorrow, it wont be any surprise that I haven’t missed the daily commute one little bit) and I had an urge for some homemade soup, so I plumped for a favourite of pea and ham.  I had half a bag (500g) of petit pois, I bought these accidentally instead of garden peas, my darling hubby is a bit of a pea snob (or just plain fussy lol) and only likes garden peas!!! So I thought it would be a great way to use these up. There are various different ways of making pea and ham soup and I’m sure you have your own favourite recipe, this is mine:
4 hearty portions
2 onions chopped and sweated in olive oil and butter for a couple of minutes
Add a litre of chicken stock (2 stock cubes) and a bay leaf, put a lid on and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Take out your peas from the freezer and allow to thaw a little.
Put the peas straight into a blender, take out the bay leaf and add all the stock and chopped up ham (I just had value range wafer thin) blitz, finish with 3 tbsps of half fat crème fraiche, seasoning and some more chopped ham.
**By not cooking the peas you have a lush green and really pea flavour soup and it’s oh so delish
This pan is 4 portions, which will be tomorrow night’s tea


This was my portion for lunch today with some fresh bread ummmm    

1 comment:

Simple Days and Simple Pleasures

I am sure that you, like myself, have been very reflective during this period of enforced lockdown and isolation and the varying degrees in ...