Monday 5 March 2012

I Don't Like Mondays !!!

Usually that is my mantra, I really don’t like Mondays; the weekend always go’s far too quickly and the thought of the long week ahead at work makes getting out of bed on a Monday morning an arduous task.  I normally spend at least 10 minutes each Monday morning thinking up of any reason not to go, can I pull a sicky? Have I any leave left and make up an emergency? Fake car breakdown? Lol  – I never do any of these and always go to work, but I always go through the same Monday morning ritual. 
Now it’s not that I hate my job, I mean it doesn’t light up my world, but the job is ok, I’m good at it and have really good colleagues.  It’s the commute which is a killer, 3 hours round trip.  My commute is neither frugal nor environmentally sound, however following a restructure at work I was moved to another city (I was grateful I still had a job, many didn’t), I constantly look for work nearer home, however in this economic climate there really isn’t much out there, beggars can’t be choosers – the commute is a bitch but at least I have a job J.
However today was an exception as I still have two days leave (back to work Wednesday) so this morning I was looking forward to a lie in – this unfortunately didn’t really happen as hubby's boss rang at 7.10am (hubby had already left for work) and I couldn’t get back to sleep.  Ah well lie in tomorrow.
Today was a good and productive day – I spent the morning, stripping the bed, laundry, tidying up, making 6 thank you cards which took me to lunch time – I then popped to Sainsburys to pick up essential supplies and stamps; returned home, walked the dog and posted the cards and came back and hovered and mopped the floors (I live such a rock and roll lifestyle) I then tackled all the dreaded ironing.
I then heated up the sausage and cannelloni bean hot pot – recipe below,(the recipe is based on 6 portions, I always try and make extra so we can have a meal and then I can freeze, in this case 2 more meals for me and hubby), with the commute that I have, its always a must to have homemade ready meal that just needs warming through when I get home usually around 7pm each evening.
Cost for recipe £3.86 (this doesn’t include stock cube, herbs and chilli which are all store cupboard ingredients) – 64p per portion
15 sausages (hubby's portion has 3 sausages, mine 2)
2 onions
2 cans of cannelloni beans
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
Herbs
Chilli
400ml chicken stock (from a cube)

Slice your onions and sautee in some olive oil, add sausages and colour; add the chopped tomatoes, stock and the cannelloni beans (rinse the beans before you add), add the herbs and chilli and season to taste, simmer for 20 mins – It is really hearty and delicious – we had this tonight with some left over crusty bread and it was yumm

1 comment:

  1. I get tired just reading about your commute. I cannot begin to imagine not getting home until the evening hours and then having to think about a meal. The weekends never seem long enough, do they? About the time we get to relax, it is over. Hope your week is going very well.

    ReplyDelete

Simple Days and Simple Pleasures

I am sure that you, like myself, have been very reflective during this period of enforced lockdown and isolation and the varying degrees in ...